Write a 25-word essay about the idea of fairness in genetic engineering and assisted reproduction: when you think of these issues what connection can you make to fairness?
One of the most important ideas in ethics is the idea of fairness. It is a simple idea that becomes more complex the more that one thinks about it. This is a multi-step assignment:
1. Assignment 1 – Pre-reading: write a 25-word essay about the idea of fairness in genetic engineering and assisted reproduction: when you think of these issues what connection can you make to fairness? What actions or consequences are fair? Who does one need to be fair to? How would someone be treated fairly or unfairly?
2. Read. PDF Will be attached to use
3. Assignment 2- Post-reading: at the end of the week look back to your most recent definition of fairness and write 250 words that update that definition.
1. Restate or redefine your definition of fairness
2. How does your understanding of genetic engineering/assisted reproduction cohere with your new definition of fairness — why?
3. Which parts of your new definition of fairness did not cohere with your previous definition of fairness and why did you change your definition of fairness?
The fairness journal will be an ongoing assignment. You will revisit this journal with each new ethical theory covered in class and with each moral issue we cover. As you go through the course and complete the readings you should always be keeping the idea of fairness in mind. You should be asking yourself how each theory brings about fair actions, consequences, or agents concerned about fairness. Also, you should be asking yourself about fair approaches and responses to each issue we cover.
NOTE: ‘A’ grades will only be given to students who refer to, quote, and cite the readings. No Wikipedia and please cite the page number for the source used and provide the link. Make sure to use sources that are accessible.
|Academic Level||High school|
|Subject Area||Religious Ethics|
|Number of Pages||1 Page(s)/275 words|