Difference between exterior and surface of things, kurts head has a description and hides something inside it, distinguishment between darkness and light, darkness interior, lightness exterior, see everything nothing is clearer
4 sections in the exam, 5 – 7 questions in each section, just pick 3 sections; you can
leave out one section. Some sections may be easier than the other.
Total of 9 paragraphs
Section 1 Critique of empire/crisis (6 questions)
Section 2 is modernist technique (7 questions)
Section 3 is about Marlow and Kurtz (5 questions)
Section 4 is about woman (that they need to be protected) (6questions)
1. Quotation about part 3 magnificent eloquence quotation, he says its really
about there is one picture that is given of what it hides from within the
darker truth, the crisis in knowledge, why is there a crisis in knowledge is
there is a magnificence eloquence (where you speaks beautifully) it may only
be an appearance
2. He says the horror the horror, this seems to be the judgment in something, its
actually, what I ask is what he means by the judgment, Kurt say something to
sum up his life, you don’t know if he’s talking about himself or humanity that
they are dark and evil. Talk about that, what the judgment is, what you think
it is, and what does it relate. Look at it in the notes, and the comments, and
3. Kurt’s was mentally ill, exterminate all the brutes, something a madman
would write his philosophy is insane, but then Marlow does agree that he’s
insane, Marlow talks about his soul being mad, the distinguishing between
being mad in the brain or in the heart. Impossible that it doesn’t affect the
soul that’s why Marlow says “his soul was mad”
4. His identity and self-knowledge, sees kurts as his future self.
5. Marlow’s journey in Africa , contrast between white man and native people,
white side should be civilized, are they really representation of their
respective culture, white man is sort of, natives are savages some are
cannibals, too dark to say all are in dark side and white are pure and good
6. Free slaves lost the job because he stole some hens, and then got murdered,
tells us what the jingle was doing to people because he’s suppose to be gentle
and kind, this is sort of foreshadowing. Russian who’s gone mad, and then
kurts is the ultimate. What it might mean about morality. Morality wants to
be fixed. No matter what the context and they’ve changed dramatically.
1. Difference between exterior and surface of things, kurts head has a
description and hides something inside it, distinguishment between
darkness and light, darkness interior, lightness exterior, see everything
nothing is clearer.
2. Darkness is a symbol how is it related to nature is nature good or dark>
3. Natural order of things seems to fail and often made obvious to us in
description of failure of light, cant see where they’re going, breakdown of
natural order of things, general disintegration
4. River journey moves along is very symbolic, closer and closer to interior,
where the secret is. Distrust exterior, that’s asks you to talk about
symbolism, a, b, or c, choose anyone you like and what it means, do you
think story is about this, this or this.
5. Marlow talking to Russian guy, says “Kurtz couldn’t be mad he is a genius”
idea of interior and exterior again, appearance vs reality, talk about it in
terms of critique of empire. Motif, there is exterior and not the same as
6. Going up the river, open before them and closes behind, sense of doom.
Penetrated deeper and deeper, analysis of these 2 sentences, talk about
imagery and a certain way. Symbolism, talk about it.
7. Another passage in part 3, when Marlow is talking about natives, doesn’t
think they’ll attack, impressionism. Subjective and objective.
1. Said to be sexist/racist, do you think he has a certain attitude towards
woman, he’s grown up like that, he’s unreliable narrator.
2. Perspectivism in narrative, all diff perspective on Kurtz but diff between
Russian guy and marlows on Kurtz, marlow doesn’t like him, Kurtz prefers
him to any other devil
3. Everyone has diff opinion was great musician, marlow calls him universal
genius, why do you think thay? And what has he learned from his experience,
universal may mean both light and dark, complexity of human being
4. Find the “LAW” quotation since you take it away, humans behave anyways
they like, if not afraid of going to jail, so you do what you like so morality is
based on fear. What is he saying about human nature?
5. Kurtz is the embodiment of moral croption on so many levels, he’s allowed
his brutual instinct to kill him, not being rational, lost his reason, that’s the
madness in his soul. The enlightenment project we would use reason to find
answers in the world, how Kurtz represents the failure of that, do you agree
with that? Give an example
1. African mistress compared with intended, are the positive or negative
portrayal. Both very similar in the way kurts treats them/
2. Woman are almost absent from the story, quite noticeable in the way marlow
talks about them, what’s his attitude towards woman in general? Find the
quotation about that. Unreliable narrator again, find the paradox as well.
Woman aren’t strong character but they’re ever present in his mind.
3. Diff between marlow and native people woman? Things to be controlled, told
what to do
4. Tells a lie, whats the lie he tells her, says he loves her and not the horror, the
horror. What’s the benefit of telling him to tell the lie on behalf of Kurtz,
5. Why is she referred to as the intended? Sort of symbolic, no name, part of his
6. Critique of imprelaism also true how woman are portrayed do you agree
|Academic Level||College (1-2 years: Freshmen, Sophomore)|
|Number of Pages||5 Page(s)/1375 words|