Part I. Key Terms. Write short essays (about 2/3 of a page each, double spaced) on three of the following key terms. Provide an overview of the topic (who, what, where, when) and tell why the key term is important to our understanding of America in the late 1800s. Show how each key term relates to major ideas and historical trends we have discussed. You may use pictures if this helps develop you points.
Dawes Severalty Act
Knights of Labor
Triangle Shirtwaist Fire
Part II. Longer Essay. Write a longer essay (about one and one half pages each, double spaced) on one of the topics below. Include one or two pictures with the essay and tell how the pictures help us. Please make sure the topic you cover in Part II is different from what you discuss in Part I.
- Describe how the federal government attempted to change the South following the Civil War. Was Reconstruction a success or a failure?
- The Gilded Age. Describe the relationship between politics and business in the late 1800s. Who had the most power at this time? How did they gain so much power?
- The West. What was so special about the West in the late 1800s? Describe some of the different types of people who lived in the West and the challenges they faced. Explain how the West was changing rapidly in this time period.
- Describe some of the challenges facing working people in the late 1800s. What did workers do to improve their situation? How successful were they?
- The 1890s. Why was there so much conflict within the country in the 1890s? How was this conflict related to changes going on in the economy? What ideas came out of this era that would affect the twentieth century
Keys for Success:
- Explain your points simply, like you would to another student.
- Organize your essays with short paragraphs.
- Use specific examples from our readings and class discussion.
- Relate your answers to major concepts and trends we have covered.
- When you use pictures, note specific things that help us understand the topics.
|Academic Level||College (1-2 years: Freshmen, Sophomore)|
|Number of Pages||4 Page(s)/1100words|