Using the essay: “Protecting Freedom
Of Speech on Campus” by Derek Bok, compose a 3-page paper in which you analyze, evaluate, and respond to the author’s argument.
The following items should be part of your analysis:
1. Identify the authors central claim, or argument.
2. Discuss the author’s purpose in writing this essay. Who is the intended audience (those sympathetic to the author’s point of view, or those who hold opposing viewpoints)? How can you tell?
3. Examine the author’s methods including use of supporting evidence. Identify the types of evidence used (statistics? Studies? Real events? Comparisons, personal experience?) and evaluate whether they are effective in supporting the author’s claim.
4. Is anything missing from the argument? Does the author adequately discuss any opposing viewpoints, counter-arguments, or potential consequences?
5. Evaluate th rhetorical techniques used. How does the essay demonstrate appeals to logos, ethos, and pathos? (You should discuss all three). How does these appeals help to persuade the reader, and are they effective?
6. Do you agree or disagree with the author’s claim? Explain.
-Please use MLA citations throughout the essay, quoting the author.
|Academic Level||College (3-4 years: Junior, Senior)|
|Number of Pages||3 Page(s)/825 words|